Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

Rose and the Lost Princess by Holly Webb




Cross posted from Got Fiction? Book Blog:
I know we rarely review YA or MG here at Got Fiction? but with my kids getting older, I don't really know what's appropriate for them to read. I've taken a couple chances lately, and found some great books! Rose and the Lost Princess was one of them.

My 9 year old daughter and I read this one together, so it's only fair that we review it together.
I'll go first. I loved the storyline. For someone who doesn't typically read YA, I found this book surprisingly good. Not only was Rose an easy character to relate to, but she was a great heroine. I had no problem imagining my younger self as Rose. In fact, if I had had this book as a child, I would have loved it, no doubt.

Rose has been taken from an orphanage in London to become a servant in a magician's house. She never once takes her position for granted and is incredibly happy to be earning her own way. She's maybe 10 or so, and in the first book, she uses her magic to save some children from a witch. So now the household staff are very wary of her. The public is starting to get a little nervous at the thought of magicians having so much power. It almost turns into full-scale riots at one point.

The national treasure is a princess, a 7 year old girl named Jane. After a botched kidnapping by magical means,Rose's master goes into a tizzy. He has to prove to the king, and to the people, that not all magicians are like the witch from book 1. At the same time he has to find out who tried to kidnap Princess Jane.
But of course, it's Rose who solves the mystery, while at the same time endangering her own life. She wants to help.

The writing was fabulous. It was easy enough for my third grader, but it was also challenging enough to keep her interest. Books that are "too easy" are "baby books" to her. From an adult standpoint, I never felt as if I were reading a children's book. The language and descriptions were flawless. I loved this book.

My daughter:
I loved Rose, but I loved her talking cat Gus more. He was funny and I have a cat who I wish could talk like Gus.
I also loved Rose's friend Freddie even though he was sometimes mean, and Bella was cool too.
The bad guy wasn't caught though and I want to know what happens to him. And I also want my mom to buy the first book so I can see how Rose defeated the bad witch.
The best part was when Rose figured out how to bring Jane back.
I think it ended too fast though. It felt like there should be more where the bad guy was caught and put in jail.

So there you have it, talking cat, magicians and princesses. What more could a nine year old want?
***ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks Jabberwocky Kids

No comments: